Thematic coursesGemstones and PearlsUnderstanding Corundum
Clients, buyers, gems lovers.
- Learning to recognize and analyze characteristics and particularities of corundom in order to be able to detect and identify treatments.
Training is focused on sapphires, couloured sapphires and rubies. Markets today are flooded with new treatments and synthesis methods and it is sometimes difficult to distinguish without a proper expertise. Moreover the geographical origins of corundum represent such a key element in their assessment that it is important to have accurate notions about them.
- Definitions, gemmological characteristics, producing countries, qualities. Observation of typical inclusions.
- Corundum treatments, history and techniques, synthetics and imitations. Synthesis history and methods. How to detect and identify them ?
- Gemmology, loupe, light…
- Glass, doublets, corundum
- Polariscope, refractometer, dichroscope and additional instruments : UV light, spectroscope
- Additional information on corundum (new deposits and distinctive corundum)