Thematic coursesGemstones and PearlsUnderstanding gemmology
Anyone wishing to gain an understanding of gemmology.
- Learning the chemical properties of common gems, their classification and the notion of families
- Understanding terms and vocabulary (European regulations, CIBJO)
- Learning the standard gemmological testing techniques
- Learning how to use the polariscope, the refractometer, the spectroscope and UV light
- Keeping updated with a comprehensive overview of the world of gemmology and its latest developments: new treatments, new technologies, new issues, market trends…
- Gems classification and notion of families
- Study of common synthetic materials
- Study of common inclusions in natural gems
- Minerals morphological analysis using the polariscope
- Refraction and refractometer
- Gemstones observation
- Light, colour, absorption and using the Chelsea filter
- Introduction to natural gems and their inclusions.
- Common imitations and synthetic materials.
- Common gemstones.
- Gems crystal systems and optical characteristics.
- The refractometer and how to use it.
- Pléochroïsm and the dichroscope.
- Corundum (physical, chemical and optical properties, deposits, synthetics and treatments).
- Emerald (physical, chemical and optical properties, deposits, synthetics and treatments).
- Courses and workshops : use of standard gemmological equipment (binoculars, refractometer …), multiple samples observation.